Monday, November 4, 2013

Mixtape Monday: DJ Ayres, DJ Platurn and Tanner Caldwell

Does Halloween seem to drag-out more and more every year, or is it just me?  I swear I'm not channeling my inner Roctakon as I type this - I'm not salty, just tired!

I try to get into the spirit by playing club gigs in costume - this year I was a 'disco zombie'  aka b/w face-paint & an 80's neon-pink/green windbreaker (thanks, mom!) at two of my shows, and Bob (from Bob's Burger's) at another one.  Fun Times!  Tweet us pics of you awkwardly DJ'ing in costume: @2000Down.

-

I'm not sure why 80's music and Halloween parties go hand-in-hand, but this has been the case for me since I started gigging regularly.  To prep for my Thursday dive-bar gig, I went through my 'mixes' playlist and stumbled upon DJ Ayres' Space 'N Faders tape.

  

I was pretty happy to find it uploaded to mixcloud upon googling...I once had this on CD, and in my infinite wisdom I ripped it to my computer (via windows media player! yikes!) at 128kbps many hard-drives ago.

Anyhow, please take a moment to revel in the awesomeness of this tape.  All killer no filler 80's jams from New Order to Depeche Mode, Shannon to New Edition.  If you haven't listened to this before, you're in for a treat.  DJ AYRES, YALL!

Follow: @DJAYRES

+

DJ PLATURN -SO THIS IS DE LA HEAVEN PT. 1



DJ Platurn is a one-of-a-kind dude, to put it simply. Founder of the infamous Oakland Fader's, he's rocked stages around the world, but calls the Bay Area his home.  He is a walking breakbeat/funk/soul/jazz encyclopedia, and consistently puts out dope material.

This mixtape features an amazing collection of rare De La / native tongues material blended and cut with expert precision with OG samples and funk classics and b-sides. Tracklist via Discogs.

A huge fan of 90's hip-hop / anything native tongues related, this mixtape exceeded my expectations in every way.  Free DL via SC.

Follow: @PLATURN

+

TANNER CALDWELL - TURNT UP BED DOWN MIXTAPE




Bass/Club music producer / DJ Tanner Caldwell has been getting things popping for a minute!  From the OG CatFace parties to Discksquad, this dude has his finger on the pulse of 'cool', especially where it intersects with 'weird'.  I'm not sure how to describe the mix...it's like Luvstep, but more 'alt' - so weird it works? IDK. Give it a listen, it's dope.  RnBass music for 'the feels'.  Emotional warehouse-y UK Garage boiler room tunes to blaze/cuddle/read/cook to.

Follow: @TannerCaldwell_  

++++

-@DJAlykhan
[Follow @2000Down]

No comments: